From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: Moving Jetspeed to Java 1.5.
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:32:52 GMT
Weaver, Scott wrote:
> I just hate to languish and 1.4 for that reason.  1.5 has been out for a
> couple years now; heck 1.6 is actually starting to see some use.  This
> puts 1.4 two releases back.  I work at a large company, well I consider
> Siemens a large company anyways ;), and we have been on 1.5 for almost a
> year now.  I know we are planning on some extensive refactoring for the
> next release of Jetspeed and I don't see why that shouldn't include
> moving 1.5.  The current 2.1 release could be left supporting 1.4
> allowing for slow adopters to continue using Jetspeed.
>
> We already have some optional pieces that require 1.5, IIRC (Ate, please
> correct me if I am wrong) the new Wicket portlet support requires it.
No, Wicket Portlet support works with 1.4.

The Wicket examples web application showcases some optional wicket features which do require
1.5, but Wicket core still only requires 1.4.
So, yes: you do need 1.5 to run the Wicket Examples app, but only for that purpose.

> So, if we are moving along with converting to Wicket for the admin apps
> we would need 1.5.
The Wicket based admin apps will be targeted for the trunk 2.2-SNAPSHOT, not 2.1.x, so we
will be save to use 1.5 features for that.

> That coupled with the fact we want to drop OJB for
> some other ORM, of which JPA seems the most likely candidate, makes
> avoiding 1.5 impossible.  Honestly, I don't consider either of these
> items to arbitrary.
Neither do I. So the choice to require Java 1.5 for 2.2-SNAPSHOT wasn't difficult either.

Ate