From "Weaver, Scott" <weav...@ugs.com>
Subject RE: Modifying the Jetspeed Desktop
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:02:00 GMT
Hi Team,

Performance was one of my top goals when I rewrote things.  Our partner
portal site is accessed world wide so we had to make sure things were as
fast as possible (we will soon be implementing Akami services to
increase performance even more).  My front page, on average, loads in
about 4-6 seconds regardless of the number of portlets.  I have JSLINTed
(http://www.jslint.com/) and compressed all my javascript using the same
compressor that jQuery uses (which is FAR more aggressive than DOJO's
which is why you need to make sure all your javascript is LINTed before
hand).  I also combine all my javascript files at build time into a
single file to reduce roundtrips.  This really helps for regions that
have high latency levels.

I would love to have you show you the portal.  Unfortunately it has
access to competitive information that cannot be exposed to the general
public.  I will see if there is any way I can work around this or
possibly get a screen cam of it in action.

Regards,
-scott

implementation