From "Weaver, Scott" <weav...@ugs.com>
Subject RE: Modifying the Jetspeed Desktop
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:46:22 GMT
Hi Team,

I am just curious.  Which, if any, javascript API, are you thinking of
replacing DOJO with?  I was using DOJO for my "desktop" implementation
but dropped it about 5 months ago because issues with size, relative
complexity, the dearth of documentation and performance issues
(specifically with widgets).  I did a little research and decided to go
with jQuery, which I immediately fell in love with.  Compressed, the
base jQuery is only 19k.

As for layouts, that is something I also replaced.  What I came up with
is based loosely on other CMS theme implementations (like that used in
Drupal).  It still uses Velocity as the templating language.  I also
dropped the idea of separation of layouts from decorations.  For me it
was just over kill and was harder to manage than I would like.  Now you
just create a page.html in your theme directory and go from there.

I would love to get my theme implementation back into Jetspeed 2 as an
alternate to the layout approach.  Unfortunately, I haven't had any time
to pull down the newest J2 and get all the functionality (I don't think
I currently support everything that the layouts do) in place in the
theme system.

As for disabling /portal, I think that is as simple as removing the
servlet mapping from J2's web.xml.

-scott