From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: 2.1 customized binary build
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:32:29 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2007, at 2:36 PM, David Sean Taylor wrote:

>>> I am using the standard maven-1 binary  build using the plugin. I do
>>> realize you guys want to standardize on 2 and I understand why.
>>> Unfortunate though because it works so well. ;-)
>>
>> Just a proposal ... we can all vote on where we want to go from here
>> Im happy to continue with Maven-1 if thats what people want
>> However Im not happy to continue with two builds
>>

> Please no more maven 1!  I have enough trouble finding any time to keep
> up with jetspeed and having to deal with m1 will keep me from even trying.
David, rest assured :)

We do plan to move to maven-2 very soon now, and with a complete new build setup (probably
more along the lines you draw some months ago).
I've already started a new branch for working out all the changes required for that:
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/portals/jetspeed-2/branches/J2-M2-REDUX

Note: I have done no more yet than delete all maven-1 *and* maven-2 build configurations,
I plan to start moving the folders around in conformance to the
maven-2 guidelines shortly.
My current plans:
- no more quirky archetype/ant scripting code, but (first of all) just plain maven-2 artifact
creations.
- as less as possible profiles usage, preference to use just a set of simple "assembly" style
portal/deployment projects
- additionally some set of ant build scripts for custom portal development, probably going
to use maven-ant tasks for that

Now, when that has all be done and verified to be working fine and allows a proper upgrade/migration
path for our current (both maven-1 and maven-2) users,
I see no reason to stick to maven-1 anymore.

> What reasons do you have for even considering staying with maven 1?
Well, we *do* have quite a large group of users who still very much depend on this, and I
think we should not brutally cut them off just like that, do you?
> When I've looked at the build in the past it looked to me that the only
> things maven scripting were being used for were dreadful hacks due to
> bad project structure and big limitations of maven 1.
Well, that might be true, that doesn't mean we can just throw it away just like that.

> IIRC I pointed
> some of these out on my last visit a few months back and was told they
> couldn't be changed because of the m1 build.  If you really need fancy
> scripting you can still use ant and groovy.
Its not because we "fancy" scripting, but because of the limitations of maven-1 (and still
maven-2 as well I suspect) which makes it not so easy to provide a
acceptable customizable build environment for *end users*.
We developers usually are more flexible in how we manage our environments, or have a very
limited set of use-cases to handle.
But our community is much more divers than that, and we do our best to help them out.
I agree we probably made some big mistakes in the past how we setup our maven-1 (and maven-2)
build environment, and I'm willing to spend quite a lot of time to
"fix" that soon. And your input has been quite valuable for that, and I hope to get more too
;)

Regards,

Ate

> thanks