From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: Pluto Upgrade
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:08:36 GMT
David H. DeWolf wrote:
> Hello Jetspeed!
>
> I just wanted to show my face on this list and encourage you guys to
> upgrade to pluto 1.1.x.
As you already know, that is one of my goals for Jetspeed-2.2.
My plan is to create a separate playground branch for that so we can investigate and try out
the amount of refactoring needed for this without direct
interfering with the trunk.

> There are now two other open source portals
> embedding this series and I think we've flushed out a lot of things that
> will (eventually) help jetspeed.  uPortal, for example, reports that the
> pluto significantly reduced both the complexity and the size of their
> code base by an order of magnitude.
>
> As with both the uPortal and the Sakai implementations, I don't
> anticipate that the pluto team would have thought about *everything*
> that you will need.  In fact, I'm hoping that you are much more tied to
> use than the other two were,
Most likely yes. I don't know how uPortal or Sakai handled the complete rewrite of the descriptor-api,
but Jetspeed-2 is very much tied to the "old" Pluto 1.0.1
  om classes. We actually based and extended most of our persistent portlet registry on that
class hierarchy, and seeing Pluto 1.1.x has completely thrown that
old model away, I have the suspicion our migration is going to be *very* painful to say the
least...

> and as a result, will have many more
> requirements which will help flush pluto out into a more rohbust
> implementation.
I don't mind improving Pluto of course but I just hope if we don't have to rewrite our whole
persistent portlet registry from scratch.
As David Taylor already asked: did you ever write some design, guidelines or something how
Pluto 1.1.x deviates from Pluto 1.0.x?
That might give us some useful insight how to proceed.

> The good new is that I believe that it currently has a
> solid foundation in this regard.
Has uPortal, Sakai or any other portal embedding Pluto based their persistent model on the
new Pluto descriptor api and did they face the same migration issue
in this respect as us?  If so, than that would be good news indeed.

>  In addition, not only am I standing by
> waiting to help enhance pluto to meet your needs, we have been able to
> stream line our release process and are pushing out releases much more
> frequently (1 every few weeks to a month).   In fact, Pluto 1.1.1 was
> just released last week and I am targeting a new release for 1.1.2
> within the next week or two.
>
> Please let me know how I can help get you kickstarted!
I expect to start the separate branch for this sometime this week. I'll ping you as soon as
I'm ready for it :)

Regards,

Ate