From "Tallamraju, Raman" <Raman.Tallamr...@FMR.COM>
Subject RE: it fails in the seed data
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:05:13 GMT
We've been saying this since we first started using Jetspeed - I think
moving to Ant (or at least providing that alternative at the very least)
would definitely be appreciated by the community. We have had maven
working for us - but getting new builds to work for all developers has
been a big hassle. We've beeen getting around this by checking in our
repo into source control and adding jars to it as needed - in effect
mimicking what an ant build would do (everybody runs maven in offline
mode).

Hope to see this build up & running soon.

Thanks,
Raman

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Mark Donaghy [mailto:philip.donaghy@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 4:18 AM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: Re: it fails in the seed data

Hi David,

On 1/19/07, David Sean Taylor <david@bluesunrise.com> wrote:
> I don't know man, i've about had it with this m...
> OK, I'll edit the POM and put it up on my repo
> Thanks for digging into that one

Maven's problem is that no one ever deletes their repository. Because
is is such a pain in the ass to rebuild.

There are two maintenance problems. The remote repository as you know
very well and the local repository. I think maven is a good build
platform. It's not better than ant but rather more efficient with
multiproject build managment and documentation and reporting.

Ant was perfect we just stored all the necessary jars in the source
repository.

I propose that we just do this again and instruct users to build
offline. But the first task is to reduce the size of the repository.
I'm going to take this task on.

It's not as if maven is saving bandwidth. Checking out the source with
dependencies and building using a remote repository results in the
same bandwidth use. Storing the jars in svn reduces the maintenance
work associated with remote repositories.

Philip

> Mikko Wuokko wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I tracked this a bit, and it went down from spring-modules-0.6 which
has
> > a dependency on db-ojb-1.0.4 which eventually has the wrong
dependencies.

> > See issues i've posted
> >
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-487
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-480
> >
> > The geronino-spec problem was solved an eventually the others too in
the
> > next release I think. But for a workaround you could comment out the
> > wrong dependencies from the
$M2_REPO/ojb/db-ojb/1.0.4/db-ojb-1.0.4.pom
> > file. They are not really needed.
> >
> > I commented jdo, jdori, hsqldb and xalan which removed the errors
(and
> > haven't seen any other errors too).
> >
> > -Mikko
> >
> > David Sean Taylor wrote:

> >> Jetspeed does not have any dependencies on JDO.
> >> This must be a case of a bad POM, or lack of any POM.

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
jetspeed-dev-help@portals.apache.org

Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy