From "Aaron Evans" <aaronmev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to forward or redirect a request in Portlets?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:33:11 GMT
See answers inline.

-aaron

On 11/3/06, anand.kulkarni@e-zest.net <anand.kulkarni@e-zest.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on JetSpeed-2 project. We have written many portlets. Now we want to forward
the control from:

> 1) Current Portlet to another portlet: Forwarding

You cannot do request forwarding with portlets like you can with servlets.

Although jetspeed provides a mechanism to target a single portlet by
URL (without the surrounding page markup), generally (portlet spec)
portlets are not accessed by a URL which is necessary for
servlet-style request forwarding.

Notice how the PortletRequestDispatcher in the portlet API only has an
include method and no forward method.

> 2) Current Portlet to another portlet: Redirecting

Again, you can't redirect to a portlet directly but rather to a PSML
page.  See answer to #3.

> 3) Current Portlet to some PSML file

You cannot forward to a PSML page, but you can redirect to it.

You can redirect to a portal page because it has a URL.  Only  caveat
here is that you have to do it within the action phase because the
sendRedirect method is only available in the ActionResponse.

> 4) Current Portlet to Servlet

You cannot forward to a servlet, but you can redirect to it in the
same way as you would redirect to portal page (of course a servlet URI
mapping must exist for the servlet in the servlet application's
web.xml).

> 5) Servlet to some portlet.

Like 1 and 2, you cannot target a portlet directly but rather a portlet page.