From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: proposal for war assembly reorganization
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:14:30 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> Currently I'm using a maven plugin from geronimo that jason dillon
> wrote to help with the resource bundles.  If people don't like this
> geronimo dependency we can simple copy the plugin into jetspeed or
> see if we can get it into m2.
>
> I have some other questions about the build...
>
> Is the maven 1 stuff still used? Can I delete it? Can I reorganize

The Maven-1 build is still used in a lot of custom projects
I actually still use it to build Jetspeed. Steve runs the Maven-2, so I
try to work off of Maven-1, that way we don't both have to test with
both builds. In all honesty I am sick of having two builds

We were planning on removing it after the 2.1 release
If you want to remove it now, I think it should be voted on
It appears that your patch, by changing the directory structures, would
actually break the Maven-1 builds. Or we would have to adjust the
Maven-1 build for the new directory structures in the M1 builds and
plugin. I don't want to volunteer for doing that, prefer to just kill
the M1 build

> the modules to standard m2 dir structure? (such as src/main/java
> instead of src/java) Can I rename the modules so they match the
> artifactId?  This lets you remove a bunch of cruft from the poms.

We need to vote on the directory restructuring
As far as Im concerned, its also a vote on continuing M1 support

Could you give me an example of where the modules don't match the
artifactId?

> Where did the dojo.zip come from?  It's not the same as the dojo zip
> file we found for geronimo....

We stay current with the latest Dojo official releases
So we just download it from there, and bundle it up ourselves

Im going to need sometime to review all of this, by Monday the latest.
Im all for making the build simpler and more in line with the "Maven-2
way", so you have my support on this effort, and we definitely value
your expertise with Maven-2. We are working on new features in the Maven
plugin for the database population, and I was dreading having to update
both Maven-1 and Maven-2 builds.

I just want to make sure that other people in the community also back
it. Its about time we make that big decision to kill the Maven-1 build.