From "Aaron Evans" <aaronmev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple different config of the same portlet
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:57:13 GMT
On 7/30/06, Michael Boss <baron.muenhausen@googlemail.com> wrote:
> In the specification of portlets it is written
> (http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Portlet/JSR168FAQ
> ):
> "Multiple instances of a single portlet can be placed onto the same page.
> The portlet spec does not mandate any order in which the doView() (or for
> that matter doEdit() or doHelp()) be called for multiple portlets on the
> same portal page. This means if you were to set an attribute in the
> doView()method of
> CityPortlet you may or may not get the attribute in the doView() of
> WeatherPortlet (depending on the portal server and perhaps the layout that
> you are using). The spec, however, does mandates that the processAction() be
> called before any rendering method is called. Therefore you need to ensure
> that any state change that needs to be propagated across multiple portlets
> in the same portlet application is confined to the processAction() method."
>
> Hence it follows that with the multiple instances of the same portlet there
> will be the problems. I do not know, is it possible to bypass t hem.

No, no problems really.  Two instances of the same portlet on a page
can act independently of each other.  The point above is just that if
you need two instances of a portlet on the same page to both reflect a
change to say a user session attribute in the PORTLET_APPLICATION
scope, then you need to take care of that in the action phase.

> I want to make as follows:
> I`ll extend administrative portlet so, that it will copy a portlet
> war-file (that portlet which should have "many instances") to diploy
> directory of Jetspeed2. The portal will automatically deploy this portlet.
> Administrative portlet shows me all deployed portlets. I choose that,
> which has just deployed and edit its preferences.
> Thus I have one portlet and its one instance, and not as earlier I
> wanted there are multiple instances of the same portlet.
> I am right?  What do you think of it?

If you go into the Portal Site Manager and create a new page.  Then
browse to that page, use the page edit mode and add your portlet to
it.  You now have a separate instance of the portlet on a new page.

Unfortunately, it looks as though you can't edit its preferences in
this way so unless your portlet has an edit mode for editing the
preferences, the alternative is to make the PSML pages by hand in an
editor and deploy them to jetspeed/WEB-INF/pages.

n each PSML page, include your portlet as a portlet fragment and make
sure you use distinct fragment IDs and then customize the preferences
as necessary.  Example of a portlet fragment:

<fragment id="my-portlet-2" type="portlet"
name="my-portlet-app::MyPortletName">
		<title>Welcome</title>
		<preference name="contentPrference" readOnly="true">
    		<value>/WEB-INF/content/welcome.html</value>
		</preference>
	</fragment>

> Many thanks
>

> 29.07.06, Michael Boss <baron.muenhausen@googlemail.com > написал(а):
> >
> > > I think what you could do is make PSML pages that are
> > > editable by the admin, and viewable but not editable by all other
> > > roles.
> > I dont absolutely know how it to make.
> >
> > In a Jetspeed2-Portal is a "Portlet Application Manager" (Admin >>
> > Jetspeed Administrative Portlets >> Portlet Application Manager) which
> > allows to chosen portlet with "Portlet Entity Browser" to add an new
> > entity. What means entity in this case? Is meant an instance of a
> > portlet?
> >

> > 28.07.06, Aaron Evans< aaronmevans@gmail.com> написал(а):
> > > I do all my stuff by editing PSML by hand.  However, if I'm not
> > > mistaken, I think what you could do is make PSML pages that are
> > > editable by the admin, and viewable but not editable by all other
> > > roles.
> > >
> > > In that way, the admin should be able to set the preference that
> > > controls what content is sucked into your iframe portlet  by editing a
> > > preference, but your users should not be able to change that.
> > >
> > > Perhaps someone else will chime in that has more expertise in this
> > area...

> > Portlet
> > through
> > the