From "Aaron Evans" <aaronmev...@gmail.com>
Subject User specific Preferences (JS2-449)
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:37:45 GMT
As requested, I'm starting a thread on the dev list for the user
specific preferences isssue that David mentions below.  I am one of
those users that has been vocal about this issue, so I'd like to show
my support!

Ideally, I'd like preferences to work in this manner:

1. Preferences default to the values specified in portlet.xml.  But,
if they are not read-only, they can be overriden by:

2. Preferences specified in a PSML fragment.  These in turn can be overriden by:

3. User specific preferences that the user can edit themselves.

A user ought to be able to edit their preferences via the page-manager
(I think that is the place).  However, in addition, I would expect
that when I invoke the API calls:

PortletPreferences.setValue(prefName,prefValue);
PortletPreferences.store();

I would expect that the value (prefValue) for the preference
'prefName' would be stored as a user preference and remain specific to
that user.

This would allow a portlet to provide its own preference editor
interface (most likely in EDIT mode) that remains JSR-168 compliant
and portable accross containers.

One question: If the chain of precedence works as described above,
suppose I have the following situation:

1. A value, S, for preference A for portlet X is specified in portlet.xml.
2. No value for preference A for portlet X is specified in the psml fragment.
3. It is the first time a user is using portlet X (thus there would be
no user specific value).

If I make the API call:

PortletPreferences.getValue(A,R);

Should it return R or the value specified in portlet.xml.  My
interpretation would be to return S, the default value specified in
portlet.xml.  R would only be returned if there were no value
specified for A in any of portlet.xml, PSML fragment or user specific
value.

Comments/Suggestions/Differences of Opinion?

-aaron