From "Michael Boss" <baron.muenhau...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple different config of the same portlet
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:01:23 GMT
In the specification of portlets it is written
(http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Portlet/JSR168FAQ
):
"Multiple instances of a single portlet can be placed onto the same page.
The portlet spec does not mandate any order in which the doView() (or for
that matter doEdit() or doHelp()) be called for multiple portlets on the
same portal page. This means if you were to set an attribute in the
doView()method of
CityPortlet you may or may not get the attribute in the doView() of
WeatherPortlet (depending on the portal server and perhaps the layout that
you are using). The spec, however, does mandates that the processAction() be
called before any rendering method is called. Therefore you need to ensure
that any state change that needs to be propagated across multiple portlets
in the same portlet application is confined to the processAction() method."

Hence it follows that with the multiple instances of the same portlet there
will be the problems. I do not know, is it possible to bypass t hem.
I want to make as follows:
I`ll extend administrative portlet so, that it will copy a portlet
war-file (that portlet which should have "many instances") to diploy
directory of Jetspeed2. The portal will automatically deploy this portlet.
Administrative portlet shows me all deployed portlets. I choose that,
which has just deployed and edit its preferences.
Thus I have one portlet and its one instance, and not as earlier I
wanted there are multiple instances of the same portlet.
I am right?  What do you think of it?

Many thanks