From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] propose a new committer - David Jencks
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:31:02 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:
> Randy Watler wrote:
>
>> In case DST had already not voted for me: +1!
>>
>> Randy
>
> Interesting. Yes, I did receive your +1 on IRC.
> I was about to tell you that votes must be officially cast by each
> individual on the developers mailing list, and that votes can not be
> proxied by other voting participants. That said, Im not finding any
> document which specifically says votes must be cast on the developers
> list. So I think we can vote on IRC, or in person, but it would require
> that we formally announce a meeting and that perhaps a majority of the
> voters(committers) attend.
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

Don't vote on IRC. Mailing-lists are the only recognized channel
for the ASF because they provide archives and can easily be searched
for specific events.

<personal rant>
IRC is fine by small talk or interactive bug tracking but please don't
use IRC for design, feature discussions or anything with a major impact
on the project. It segregates against time zones, against newbies/lurkers
on the mailing-lists and prevent useful input from casual users/developers.
On the whole it makes the community harder to join because a lot of things
happens outside of the visible/archived channels.
</personal rant>

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/