From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject [VOTE] J2 Bulid: Ant vs. Maven
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:41:37 GMT
All,

We now have a marginal Maven2 build that is capable of building J2 and
installing on Tomcat. While it has been fun reinventing the wheel for
the Nth time, it is time to get serious about the J2 build. Here are the

1. Continue on with Maven1/J2 plugin.
2. Step up and complete the Maven2 build and create an archetype to
replace the genapp capabilities.
3. Ditch maven and go with Ant.

We need to vote on this before I or anyone else puts more sunk time into
the build. Here are some of the issues:

1. Ant is simple and everyone understands it.
2. Maven1 and the plugin are not stable and are generally complex.
3. Maven2 has simplified things in some ways, but made them more complex
in other ways with the pom.xml inheritance and transitive dependencies.
4. Ant build.xml files can become unmanageable.
5. Maven2 may not be sufficiently mature for our use; we have
encountered several bugs and have used some ugly workarounds for even
our simple build cases handled to date.
6. J2 users have not been exposed to maven, and it can become a
liability quickly since they expect Ant like builds.
7. All IDEs, including Eclipse, can natively build Ant based projects.
8. When the BSR or other repos are down, the Maven offline builds are
hopeless.
9. The training/learning curve with maven is hurting acceptance of the
J2 portal solution.
10. The repository in Maven2 will become even more difficult to manage
with the transitive dependencies: in the end, we will be forced to
manage our own repository and all of the J2 users will need to do the
same.

I am sure there are more... this is not exactly a new topic for any of
us. We are just at the point where we need to make a final decision that
can stand the test of time... J2 needs our cycles, not the build
environment. I am willing to put more time into the build no matter
which way we choose to go... but not unless there is a consensus on the
matter.

Randy