From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Why are there two parallel security systems?
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:29:16 GMT

On Jan 16, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Randy Watler wrote:

> David,
>
> This is indeed the case for the PageManager component. The
> "Permissions"
> based solution has been implemented to allow implementors that already
> use the Java security architecture a compliant means to apply the same
> to J2. The "Constraints" based solution allows the implementor to
> specify security information in the PSML files. Generally speaking,
> the
> "Permissions" solution was targeted for larger users and the
> "Constraints" solution for a less formal organization that tried to
> minimize "touch points" for portal configuration. The "Constraints"
> solution is far more popular and is slightly more powerful capability
> wise.
>
> HTH,

That helps a lot, but now I have more questions :-)

I've been assuming that only the "Permissions" solution existed :-)
and thought there must be some way that I hadn't found yet to get the
psml based permission descriptions into the rdbms based policy.  How
wrong is this view :-) ? Do the psml-file based security only work
with "Constraints" and the rdbms based stuff only work with
"Permissions"?

Also, could you explain what the "Constraints" can do that the
"Permissions" can't?

Many thanks!

david jencks