From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:48:33 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> After working on the geronimo integration for a bit I have an opinion
> on what the most important reorganization step is :-)
>
> The current jetspeed.war is basically a tomcat-specific artifact.  In
> order to work in geronimo, I had to build a jetspeed war without any
> classes or lib entries. I think the current war should be built in a
> module inside app-servers rather than as the top level artifact.  I
> also think there needs to be either separate builds for including
> different amounts of lib jars or a way of customizing the build to
> include different jars.  (In M2 I think profiles give you some  control
> like this).

Just curious, where did you put the jar files if not in WEB-INF/lib?

But yes, I agree with you - we need to assemble the distribution as
different configurations. Its always more or less the same jars and
classes, but just a different way of packaging for different app
servers. This sounds very much like Raphael's suggestion to have a
different configurations. Here is my interpretation:

/jetspeed-components
  	(all the components go here)

/configurations
	/tomcat
		/configuration-1
		/configuration-2
	/geronimo
		/configuration-1
		/configuration-2

So if someone wanted to build geronimo with configuratoin-2, they would
build the project under /configuration/geronimo/configruation-2

> I'm also not exactly sure what the meaning of most of the stuff in
> jetspeed.war is.  My uneducated impression is that there are at least
> one skin and a site layout. Assuming this bears some relationship to
> the actual contents, I think that having these as separate modules  that
> are unpacked into the jetspeed war would make it much easier for
> someone to either construct additional skins or assemble a portal  with
> exactly the parts they want to use.

the Skins are called decorators, and they are really CSS styles for
pages and portlets
decorators can be re-used by different configurations
they could be stored in a separate project

/decorators

Layouts are descriptions of how pages are aggregated such as two column,
  three-column, one-column, nested. Layouts could also be stored as a
project

/layouts

A configuration can define its own decorators and layouts (I dont really
see a use case for that though), or include in a decorator or layout in
the configuration

The site is made up of pages, folders and subsites
Im thinking that a configuration needs to have a default site with it,
although  a big part of customizing your own portal is defining your own
site layout (pages, folders).

A custom portal configuration is really the combination of all of the
above, including the application server destination