From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:45:09 GMT
Ate Douma wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>>
>>> +1
>>> Should a propose a formal vote on this reorg?
>>
>> Before a full blown proposal suitable for a vote I think there are quite
>> a few detaiuls to work out, like:
>> - making sure the svn:externals actually work as expected in the ASF
>> setup
>
> Question: how are we going to provide specific tags and/or branches for
> jetspeed-2
> with such "trunk" links inside a tree?
> I'm no svn guru, but it seems like that won't be a simple svn copy
> action then anymore.

As far as I understand it, you'd have to create the tags in the "main"
hierarchies /portals/components, /portals/apps, etc... and then update
the svn:externals properties in your /porals/jetspeed-2/tags/xxx entry.

It's definitely a bit more complex and error prone.

>> - which mailing list(s) gets commits messages for the various directories
>> - getting some input from other stakeholders like Pluto guys or Cocoon
>> portal guys (possibly Geronimo) about the optimal directory breakdown
>
> +1
>
> I don't want to restart the discussion we had about this subject last
> month on
> the general@ list, but I'd like to see a more architectural discussion
> first which
> components are to be considered not j2-specific or portals generic
> before we
> start moving things around.

I think the focus here is how to reorg the j2 tree along with a new build
system to allow the configuation flexibility some are looking for here.
The fact that it also helps other communities reuse parts of J2 is a
valuable bonus, but ultimately just a bonus.
Please remember that there's no such thing as a "jetspeed committer",
"pluto committer", "bridges committer", etc... we're all Portals committers
with write access to the whole SVN /portals so I'm not sure it makes
sense to have a j2-specific/portals generic distinction.
What would be your criteria for separation and how stable such a distinction
would be in time ?
IMO, it's easier to decide that /portals/components is just a part of
J2 to start with and put all components there.

>> - figure out a build system that actually works on such a beast
>
> I definitely would like to see it working first!
>
> Maybe we can create something like a "/reorg-test" branch copied from
> our /portals root
> to test these things out?

Sure, no need to mess the trunk ! Especially in this branch also serves as
a testbed for the new build system.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/