From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository (Was Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...)
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:12:53 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>>> Should a propose a formal vote on this reorg?
>>
>> Before a full blown proposal suitable for a vote I think there are quite
>> a few detaiuls to work out, like:
>> - making sure the svn:externals actually work as expected in the ASF
>> setup
>

> Could you explain a little more about the svn:externals feature?

I'm no SVN expert. I've used some codebases that were using externals
for storing different config sets and read the svnbook about it:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html

That's about all I know. I'll ask for support on infra@.

> Im also going to read up on Maven-2 profiles.
>

>> I don't know if build goals are really the best tool to "configure"
>> jetspeed.
>> As far as I understand the situation, different "jetspeed packages"
>> could possibly vary from one to another based on:
>> - the spring assembly files used (that would control the portal features
>>   and select appropriate component implementations for the target
>>   environment)
>> - the portal applications bundled within the package
>> - the bundled runtime environment (defaults users, permissions, themes
>> and pages)
>>
>> IMO, some of these choices should be made at the source repository level
>> (like assembly files), some at compile time (maybe runtime app server
>> target) and some at runtime (choosing which apps to deploy or choosing
>> whther to create default user environment or not ?)
>>
> I like this idea. It clearly defines what we are building instead of
> hiding that information deep inside of a maven jelly plugin
>
> I see the different configs being the basic equivalent of the src/webapp
> directory in Jetspeed. Almost all of these directories can be tailored
> to a custom configuration, although we may want to factor out things
> like decorations and layouts since they can be used across all
> configurations.

+1. I think we have the same vision here, the issue is how to make it
work ;)

> IM just wondering how we should start this refactoring.
> Its going to require a new build for one.
> Maybe DDW has a point: lets try moving out applications first, and try
> to build them with Maven-2 and svn:externals. But Im just wondering if
> the components should be factored out first, since everything is
> dependent on components.

Yeah, build worries me. As I stated before, as long as the people that
are going to bear the burden of the change (ie the active committers)
are ok with any experimentation step, then I'm definitely +1.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/