From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository (Was Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...)
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:50:45 GMT
Raphaƫl Luta wrote:
>>Should a propose a formal vote on this reorg?
>>

> Before a full blown proposal suitable for a vote I think there are quite
> a few detaiuls to work out, like:
> - making sure the svn:externals actually work as expected in the ASF setup

Could you explain a little more about the svn:externals feature?

Im also going to read up on Maven-2 profiles.

> I don't know if build goals are really the best tool to "configure"
> jetspeed.
> As far as I understand the situation, different "jetspeed packages"
> could possibly vary from one to another based on:
> - the spring assembly files used (that would control the portal features
>   and select appropriate component implementations for the target
>   environment)
> - the portal applications bundled within the package
> - the bundled runtime environment (defaults users, permissions, themes
> and pages)
>
> IMO, some of these choices should be made at the source repository level
> (like assembly files), some at compile time (maybe runtime app server
> target) and some at runtime (choosing which apps to deploy or choosing
> whther to create default user environment or not ?)

I like this idea. It clearly defines what we are building instead of
hiding that information deep inside of a maven jelly plugin

I see the different configs being the basic equivalent of the src/webapp
directory in Jetspeed. Almost all of these directories can be tailored
to a custom configuration, although we may want to factor out things
like decorations and layouts since they can be used across all
configurations.

IM just wondering how we should start this refactoring.
Its going to require a new build for one.
Maybe DDW has a point: lets try moving out applications first, and try
to build them with Maven-2 and svn:externals. But Im just wondering if
the components should be factored out first, since everything is
dependent on components.