From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:28:30 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:
> David Jencks wrote:
>> <snip>
>> The build forces me to  set a bunch of parameters relating to where
>> tomcat is, but AFAICT they are never used in the main build. After I
>> set them and run maven allBuild, my tomcat install is unchanged.  I'm
>> not sure why someone who wants to run jetspeed on say jetty should be
>> forced to set a lot of parameters that are tomcat specific.  Perhaps
>> the only checks for these parameters being set could be when the part
>> of the plugin that uses them is executed?
>

> My vote is to remove ALL properties required in the
> $HOME/build.properties. That causes lots of user issues

Definitely +1 on this. It is a pain for the casual developer of Jetspeed
like me.

> <snip>
>
>> I also wonder why the maven plugin has so many portlet apps to deploy
>> hardcoded into it.  This seems contrary to the purpose of a plugin to
>> me.  Another design choice might be to have a plugin goal to iterate
>> through the dependencies in the project.xml and deploy specially
>> marked dependencies.  Then you could have a couple of example
>> projects using the plugin that deployed the full or min set of
>> portlet apps.  Although I'm not yet familiar with what the plugin is
>> supposed to do I think this might provide a useful prototype for
>> people to build other portals off of.
>>
> I think you may have hit upon one of the major misconceptions with
> Jetspeed, that it is very big. The demo apps take up a lot of space, and
> in my opinion the demo apps, since they are not Jetspeed specific,
> should be moved out of the Jetspeed repo and into Portals Applications,
> where they can be downloaded individually if selected.

What about simply moving the applications code to a different SVN branch,
so that core and apps are checked out separately.

It can be either:

/portals/jetspeed-2/ -> portal core
	/trunk
	/branches
	/tags
/portals/applications/ ->applications
	/trunk
	/branches
	/tags

(2 different checkouts)

or

/portals/jetspeed-2/
	core/
		trunk/
		branches/
		tags/
	applications/
		trunk
		branches/
		tags/

(either one full checkout or 2 separate checkouts)

or even better

/portals/components/ -> core portal components
	/trunk
	/branches
	/tags
/portals/applications/ -> useful apps
	/trunk
	/branches
	/tags
/portals/demos/ -> demo stuff
	/trunk
	/branches
	/tags
/portals/jetspeed-2 -> full jetspeed 2 portal
	/trunk
		svn:externals components /portals/components/trunk
		svn:externals applications /portals/applications/trunk
		svn:externals bridges /portals/bridges/trunk
		svn:externals demos /portals/demos/trunk

(ie manage everything in separate hierarchies and tie everything under
 jetspeed-2 using svn externals property)

We have many options to try and make jetspeed 2 codebase less
intimidating/cumbersome to first-time users/developers.
(I like the 3rd approach best if we can make it work as expected as it makes it
trivial for other portals efforts to reuse and collaborate on the different
components without getting the full J2 package)

> We we're simply trying to give people lots of coding examples using
> different Bridges technologies. I think it would be better if we did not
> hard code these demo apps into the portal.
>
> Instead Im recommending the default Jetspeed Portal would be made up of
> two webapps:
>
> 1) the portal itself
> 2) the jetspeed admin webapp
>
> all other webapps would be optional, and not included in the default
> deployment.
>
> I do see the need for an admin portlet, allowing you to download portlet
> applications, along with PSML pages, to add to the portal dynamically or
> at install time

I can see why you would prefer it like this but we still need to make sure
it is easy for newbies / prospective users to download a working portal
with enough demo apps to get a feel of what J2 can do for them.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/