From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject More ideas on security/permissions
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:06:44 GMT
I have some more ideas on how the jetspeed permissions might be
changed so many fewer permission checks are needed.  However, before
I start working on them I really need to wait for JS2-475 to be
resolved.  I've now spent a lot of time redoing patches for 475  due
both to my own lack of care to save enough versions of my work and
overlapping patches and even more due to the code changing under my
patch and having to reimplement portions in the changed code.  I
believe the code in JS2-444 geronmo-jetspeed11.zip is current with
jetspeed source.  i may have trouble justifying much more time spent
keeping it up to date with source changes.

So, my ideas:

I think it is possible to combine PagePermission and FolderPermission
into one, perhaps PathPermission with slightly more complex patch
comparison operations.  I don't understand how FragmentPermission is
used well enough yet to have an idea as to whether FragmentPermission
can also use the same class.  The goal here is to construct a single
PathPermission for a request and evaluate it against the set of
PathPermissions for the user.  If we can test a PagePermission
against a FolderPermission then at least one fewer call into
AccessController will be needed if the access is granted by a
FolderPermission rather than a PagePermission.

The other idea is that it should not be necessary to recursively
check folder view permissions down to the root.  This can be
precomputed statically before runtime so that the permissions set
only includes view permissions for which every folder on the path to
the root has view access.

I've previously mentioned the possibility of converting the
constraints system to use masks rather than extensive string
manipulations, in line with the permissions changes in JS2-475.  On
the other hand there is a lot of duplicate logic between the
permissions and constraint security implementations and I wonder if
it would be possible to either base the logic decisions in the
constraints on permission instances or simply extend the permissions
system to have the same capabilities of the constraints system and
use only permissions.  Again, I can't really move forward on this
until JS2-475 is resolved.

Many thanks,
david jencks