From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject Re: [J2] Why are there two parallel security systems?
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:54:48 GMT
David,

This is indeed the case for the PageManager component. The "Permissions"
based solution has been implemented to allow implementors that already
use the Java security architecture a compliant means to apply the same
to J2. The "Constraints" based solution allows the implementor to
specify security information in the PSML files. Generally speaking, the
"Permissions" solution was targeted for larger users and the
"Constraints" solution for a less formal organization that tried to
minimize "touch points" for portal configuration. The "Constraints"
solution is far more popular and is slightly more powerful capability
wise.

HTH,

Randy