From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Ajax
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:53:32 GMT
Christophe Lombart wrote:
> David,
>
> If I understand correctly, The ajax service gives the possibility to
> call some portal services from ajax client. What about the security ?
> Eg. I would like to get groups, users and roles to populate tree view
> or list boxs. How to secure this kind of call ?

What about in the action definition in the spring configuration:

<bean id="AjaxGetRoles"

     <!-- Security Constraint Ref OR role-based-access-constraints -->
     <constructor-arg index='3'>
         <value>requires-admin</value>
--OR--
         <value>admin</value>
     </constructor-arg>

</bean>

Here we configure the security constraint or RBAC
I think I may simply go with RBAC for now
Let me know what you think, I should be able to get this into the Ajax
Pipeline today

> I'm making a prototype in Graffito with Rico and the ajax services.
> I'm wondering what is the best approach to return the desired
> information to update in my browser. I see 2 possibilities :
> 1. Use an xml file like  portlet_apps.ajax which required more javascripts.
> 2. Use an xml containing the html element reference to update (method
> suggested by Rico).
>
> When using Rico or such ajax framework, is it make sense to use the
> second solution ?
> If not, are there some javascript to update the html element with the
> xml data ?

My approach has been #1, since XML gives us a clean separation between
content and markup. Its then up to the script to format the result.
Im not sure if I actually understand #2

> Last question : is it possible to call some portlet actions with ajax
> ? is it make sense to doing that ?

Sure, it is possible. You can create action URLs in your page, and then
have Ajax call that URL. We have not used this approach, instead
handling the requests in the pipeline, allthough I think its a valid
approach, it ties the Ajax calls to a particular portlet entity on a page