From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: Portlet Container Integration
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 02:05:00 GMT
David H. DeWolf wrote:
> Hello Jetspeed!
>
> I've taken a cursory glance at jetspeed's integration with pluto to
> start thinking about the migration of jetspeed to pluto 1.1.
Great! Looking forward working with you on that. After the 2.0-FINAL release ;-)

I noticed
> a few things that I found interesting and was wondering if I could
> gather some feedback from those of you that are more familiar with
> jetspeed.
>
> Of particular interest was the fact that you use more than one invoker
> implementation.  I was rather surprised by this simply because IMHO the
> invoker itself is at the core of the container implementation.  That
> said, once I dove a little deeper I found that this is required in order
> to support some sort of "hot deployment" feature where the portal picks
> up potlet apps which are placed in a specific directory.  Is this correct?
No quite.
We support internal (local) and external portlets.
Local portlets run within the context of the portal itself.
As that requires a complete different handling (in fact, somewhat easier)
of classloading, the two ways are handled by different invokers.

> If so, would you mind providing an overview of how you support the rest
> of the servlet specification (as required by the portlet spec) without
> deploying the portlet apps directly in the app server?
The external invoker (ServletPortletInvoker) is much like the one in Pluto Portal.

> In addition to this, if any of you have a chance to take a look at pluto
> 1.1 (now the trunk) and provide any feedback regarding any other "big
> holes" that you see preventing jetspeeds migration to 1.1, it would be
> very appreciated.
I'd like to do so as soon as I get my hands free.
But I'm afraid it'll have to wait until after ApacheCON from my account as I
still need to prepare for our presentation there (as co-speaker of David Taylor)
and the rest of my time will have to go into the 2.0-FINAL release.

After that, I'm all ears to look into pluto 1.1.

Regards,

Ate