From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CGI mapping portal
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:53:08 GMT
Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would really like to get a well known internet mapping software called
> MapServer working as a portlet. MapServer is an open source cgi program
> written in C. It plugs right into the Apache servers cgi-bin directory.
> There is a map file that is configured to read local or database driven
> spatial data and an html template similar to Velocity that defines the
> layout of the map, scalebar, legend, and reference map.
>
> Since it is commonly installed in Apache I would be tempted to create a
> portlet that serves as a proxy to Apache. Any clues on how to do this? I
> would be interested in contributing the result.

Hi Philip,

As an alternative approach, you can also have a look at the Perl bridge
portlet which actually a simple CGI bridge so could handle with little to
no customization a C CGI program.

This would save you the hassle and overload of an additional http request
so it's probably the fastest (and easiest) way to go.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/