From "Sujit Menon" <suj...@virtusa.com>
Subject RE: Memory leakage in Jetspeed
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 04:02:17 GMT

Hey randy,
Thanks for your response.
Since the memory drop was during test I thought I will try for a single user login.
I started jetpseed2 server & logged in as admin to the application. What I noticed in
jconsole was there was a usage of 20mb. After the user session timed out after 1 minute the
memory still was not going down to normal usage.
Can you please tell me why this is happening even for one user?

Regards
Sujit
-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Watler [mailto:watler@wispertel.net]
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 3:14 AM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: Re: Memory leakage in Jetspeed

Sujit:

Memory is indeed consumed with each active session in J2. To control the
number of sessions created while stress/load testing J2, you need to use
an actual browser as a client or use a scriptable client that has
enabled "cookie jar" support. The JSESSIONID cookie send by the servlet
container must be set in the client and included in every subsequent
request that is intended to be part of a simulated session. J2 uses the
standard servlet-api session support, so details of its operation can be
widely found on the net and other print documentation.

Just to be clear, session state is maintained by the servlet container,
not J2.  In order to have an official "memory leak" problem, we have to
show that the memory problem extends for much longer than the session
timeout. To test this, one should use a much smaller session timeout,
(say 1 minute vs. the standard 30 minutes). If the memory consumption
occurs at a slower rate after changing the session timeout, it indicates
that it is simply a session limit bound and not a "memory leak". If you
get "Out Of Memory" exceptions, slow down your tests so that you can
observe behavior relative to the session timeout interval.

It is worth mentioning again: JVMs do not always use/return system
memory in a way that reflects ACTUAL usage. You should be monitoring
memory profiles using java.lang.Runtime freeMemory(), maxMemory(), and
totalMemory() calls.

Randy

Sujit Menon wrote:

>Hi randy,
>I have a similar scenario. the problem is the memory leakage is coming when we give continuous
hit to the server . Can you tell me how to implement jsessionid cookie?

>Regards
>Sujit

in the url for subsequent requests?"

>>How do I check this?
>>
>>We are not creating session for every request.  When user logs in session will be
created

>>Thanks and Regards
>>Sathish

for a specific individual and purpose, and is intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorized
disclosure, use, dissemination, copying, or distribution of this message or any of its attachments
or the information contained in this e-mail, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete this message.