From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building bridges.
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:11:05 GMT
Ate Douma wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
> <snip>
> I'm not 100% sure what you plan to do, but if you intend to *move* the
> current
> portals-bridges subprojects from the jetspeed-2 repo, you're gonna break
> the
> jetspeed-2 build configuration unless you intend to handle that too?

Yes, I just planned to move portals/jetspeed-2/trunk/portal-bridges/
to portals/bridges/trunk/

I thought the protal-bridges was a maven sub-project by itself and that
J2 only has dependencies on the bridges artefact but I can see now that
bridges doesn't have a top-level project.xml yet so you're right, the
Jetspeed 2 build would break...

> What I suggested was *only* create the portals-bridges repo itself (no
> move yet)
> so I and others can start working on the site documentation. And only after
> that's done and we are ready for the announcement move the source.

As far as I know, we just need to move because all projects are on a
single SVN repository.
Given the build issue, it's safer to keep portal-bridges where it is
right now and create in this directory a project.xml and maven.xml that
can work standalone as well a xdocs directory for hosting the bridges
site XML sources.

OK with this ?

> Without the wide announcement on bridges (when the site and repo is
> ready), new
> users wanting to build from the source (checking out through svn) will
> end up in
> trouble because the bridges are gone and they've got no hint where to
> find it...

yes, you're probably righr. moving right now would require the website
to be available pretty soon.

> But, maybe I'm overlooking something or just don't understand the plan.
> If you don't think there will be problems like these, please go ahead:
> the sooner
> the better ;-)

No problem for me to play it safe and wait... it's probably a better
idea since the website may take some time to materialize completely.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/