From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed 2 java packages structure (Re: Jetspeed 2 M4 focus: Documentation !)
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:29:49 GMT
Scott T Weaver wrote:
> I think another question we might want to ask ourselves is "Does having all
> the individual sub-projects really have any true benefits?"  I know
> initially this was to show lines between the different components.

It also makes it very easy to replace a component.
If someone wants to override the page manager component, simply swap out
the jar. If we merge all components into one jar it will make this kind
of pluggable component integration more difficult for integrators.

> However,
> this can be accomplished with good documentation and naming standards.
> Also, moving things into a smaller number of subprojects would *GREATLY*
> simplify our build scripts which, IMOHO, have gotten way out of control to
> the point that synchronizing the Jetspeed 2 plugin with the actual build
> process has become an incredibly painful task.

What if we based the entire build on the plugin?
That way we wouldn't have both the maven.xml and plugin to maintain.
Might be a good time to look at Maven 2

> This is just a quick suggestion of a new structure:
>
> |--commons* (no change)
> |
> |--jetspeed-api* (no change, possibly renamed to just plain, old "api")
> |
> |--components* (All component implementations currently in separate
> |              subprojects would go here)
> |
> |--engine* (All engine/container/pipeline stuff goes here)
> |
> |--management (All Jetspeed 2 specific management apps and portlets live
> |              here)
> |
> |--deployment* (Since the  deployment system is somewhat complex, it gets
> |              its own subproject.  I left it out of management as
> |              management should be an optional build requirement
> |              but deployment is mandatory.)
> |
> |--demos (All demo applications/portlets)
> |
> |--plugins (Maven plugin goes here along IDE-specific plugins.)

sounds good, i link the name 'engine', although 'portal' is good too
i think i prefer 'applications' over demos though as they can be useful
as is not just demos

a few odd ones not covered here:

content-server
installer