From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed 2 M4 focus: Documentation !
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:27:36 GMT
Raphaƫl Luta wrote:

> How:
> ----
> Providing there's approval within the community for this drive, I
> propose that
> we tackle it in this order :
>
> #1 Move to SVN.
>   This will make any refactoring/repackaging much easier.

+1

> #2 Start a thread on how to manage our java packages and adopt a clear
> package
>   naming policy for the different main code blocks:
>   - jetspeed-api
>   - jetspeed engine core components
>   - jetspeed engine optional components
>   - application level code (admin stuff, portlet stuff, etc...)
>   - generic utility code

So if I understand correctly, you are proposing that if a class is in
the api, say

org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.Aggregator

change to:

org.apache.jetspeed.api.aggregator.Aggregator

another example, in the portal directory, we have

org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.impl.PageAggregatorImpl

change to:

org.apache.jetspeed.core.aggregator.impl.PageAggregatorImpl

final example, in the components/capability directory:

org.apache.jetspeed.capabilities.impl.CapabilityImpl

change to:

org.apache.jetspeed.components.capabilities.impl.CapabilityImpl

Is that along the lines you are proposing?

> #3 Update Javadocs and assembly files as soon as possibly :
>   - if possible go through all the different classes and document them
> at least
>     at a basic level of details
>   - at the very least, whenever working on a class make sure to comment
> this
>     class before committing

Thats a lot of work, but yes, it must be done.
I think you will find that many classes are already well documented.

> #4 Rework the user documentation and developer design docs or HOWTO
>    Update and reorganize the existing design-docs, move to forrest

What about the Maven generated docs, can that be included in Forrest?
Could you send us a link to an Apache project using Forrest as an example?

> Task #1 is underway
> Task #2 should be approached as a group and I think will be pretty easy
> to so thaks to IDE power.
> Task #3 really requires the active collaboration of everybody
> knowledgeable with
> the code
> I volunteer to drive #4 and complete the forrest site I've started.

Im glad to help on all of these tasks and agree the docs are very much
lacking.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software