From TTel...@hbf.com.au
Subject Re: Bread Crumb Navigation Portlet
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:38:06 GMT
Hello Jaq,

allow me clarify a litte more ...

Users will not have the ability to customise portlets on our web site. All
users will be considered "anonymous" without any customisation
priviledges.

We would define a bread crumb navigation portlet that is displayed on each
page, hence the navigation portlet would always be displayed.

We would have a main (aka. home) page with category and sub-category
pages.

The bread crumb portlet would be used in conjunction with the main menu
and side menu (when required).

We are hoping to avoid an explicit site/structure file, instead deriving
the page location from implicit or explicit meta data associated with PSML
documents.

We are still learning our way around Jetspeed 1, so any pointers are
welcome.

I am also curious as the correct keywords to use when describing this
problem to others within this mail group and other portlet developers.
Does bread crumb navigation have another more common or generalised name ?

Tim.

Jaq Marit wrote:

>A bread crumb in the entire portal is not much of use since the portlets,
>panes,
>and other components are already organized (and can be customized) in
such a
>way that navigation is already made very convenient. Besides, you can't
expect
>that all users will have the same profiles/preferences with regards to
the
>content of their pages.  I guess, this is one of the major distinctions
between
>a web site (same content for all users) and a portal (customized content
for
>every user).
>
>Ifever you need a bread crumb, that should already be associated directly
to a
>particular portlet.
>
>Just a thought...
>
>Quoting TTelcik@hbf.com.au:
>

>>Hello Peoples,
>>
>>we are looking to implement a "bread crumb" (path) style navigation
>>portlet within Jetspeed 1.5 (and then Jetspeed 1.6 with the JSR 168
>>adapter when available).

>>This feature is quite common for many web sites with a single view.
>>
>>Does this style of navigation have a general name ?
>>
>>Has anybody seen or worked on a general approach (or pattern) for this
>>type of problem ?
>>
>>It would seem this type of portlet could be used for many web sites
>>requiring a particular kind of navigation.
>>
>>Comments and thoughts welcome.

+++
Tim Telcik
Technical Application Architect
Business Systems Delivery
Group Services, HBF, Inc.
ttelcik@hbf.com.au
Tel: 9214 6744    Fax: 9214 6779

HBF Health Funds Inc. a registered organisation under the National Health Act
HBF Insurance Pty Ltd ACN  009 268 27
This email is a confidential communication intended only for the named Addressee(s). If you
are not that person any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this email or the information
in it is prohibited. Please notify us immediately by telephone, (+61) 08 9265 6111 or return
email and delete this email.