From "Tim Reilly" <tim.rei...@consultant.com>
Subject RE: JSR170 and JCMS2
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 23:54:25 GMT
> >JSR170 public review is available with
> >
> >http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=25990

Thanks, David!
I've been waiting years for that to come out.

> >Interesting to notice is that the reference
> >implementation is available under the Apache License,
> >Version 2.0.  I wonder if this is worth looking into

As I understand it, this work was done or contributed to a proposal folder
of Jakarta-Slide.
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-slide/proposals/jcrri/
It had been "removed" (again, oss clashes with jcr?), I see now its
available again.
Cool. I think it had a Slide example app too.

> * What will be its success ? Hope it will be better than JDO.
> * I think it is not yet clear for the java dev like me : there is 2 jsr
> (170 & 147) which are dealing whith content repository. Why 2 ?

AIUI 147 is workspace versioning and management. Although not restricted
only to the SCM space, from what I've downloaded it seems to have been
written with the scm (cvs, subversion, vss, clearcase, etc) frame of
reference. It should help things like Eclipse, Maven, Ant, etc - plug-in any
SCM tool that implements javax.wvcm.*

BEA Portal has a really nice concept of a meta-content manager (based on
their own api/spi spec) Their meta-management facility allows an
administrator to configure any compliant CMS using an administrative
portlet. Then you place content into portlets - however they do it? With
Websphere Portal's wpcp it was special tags read at deployment that you
associated content from the repo to do a mapping.

My POV is that jsr-170 would allow jetspeed to publish admin and tags that
could do the same thing, without the undue burden of having to provide
implementations for a bunch (of course hopefully CMS vendors to provide the
implmentations.)

Anyhow,
just my 2 cents.

-TR