From Vikas Gupta <Vik...@quinnox.com>
Subject [J2] Struts - Portlets
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 10:35:34 GMT
Hi Ate,
Pls tell me whether need to download all the folder/files listed in
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-jetspeed-2/#dirlist to run
struts-portlet sample implementation??

Regards
Vikas

-----Original Message-----
From: Ate Douma [mailto:ate@douma.nu]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 2:35 PM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: Re: Jetspeed 2 download

Hi Vikas,

First of all some cvs pointers (you will need them if you plan to use J2
right now).

Jakarta CVS Repository:
	http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html
CVS Home (all things cvs):
	http://www.cvshome.org (currently down?)

About Jetspeed 2:
Note that it isn't production ready yet. and you'll have to use cvs to
get the latest and greatest :-)
The developers group is very active though and the progress speed is
increasing. It is our hope to release a beta version sometimes this
summer. But you will have to expect many changes and restructurings the
coming months (a big one is done right now).

About the Struts support:
I've created the struts-portlet framework for J2 and I can confirm it
works!
The struts-portlet is going to be used by one of my clients in
production and it will probably be used within J2 itself as well.

There are some restriction though: some because of the portlet api which
will apply to *any* web application framework and some related to the
current state of struts and the struts-portlet.

I've migrated the original struts example demo application to J2.
If you build and deploy J2 following the Getting Started guidelines from
the website (http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started.html)
this demo portlet is build and deployed as well.
You will find some preliminary documentation for the struts-portlet
framework in README.txt located in the struts-portlet subproject (I'll
have to improve that soon now others are going to look at it).
Or read it online:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/jakarta-jetspeed-2/struts-portl
et/README.txt

If you are going to try it out or, even better, are going to use it,
please share you're experiences on this list. I, and I think many
others, will appreciate that very much and it will help me create the
documentation you need.

A few last things:
Don't use the jakarta-jetspeed-2-cvs list, it is mainly used by the cvs
repository itself. Furthermore, please prefix your subject with [J2] if
its J2 related only as is our convention.

Regards,

Ate