From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: "Merging" my branch
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 18:49:36 GMT

On May 19, 2004, at 8:07 AM, Ate Douma wrote:

>>> Like David Taylor, I would object at removing *all* container usage
>>> in test cases because I also see the need and benefit of concrete
>>> database interaction testing. Don't forget, Jetspeed can and will be
>>> used with many different databases, each with there own behavior.
>>> OJB/Torque can differentiate for that. I don't see how mocking can
>>> ever deal with all those variations
>> I realize that we need to make sure that our components are working
>> with
>> their associated back end systems and what not, however, when you
>> start
>> developing unit tests that test solely for idiosyncrasies of those
>> back
>> end systems, a good example being the TestRegistryDirect1 & 2, your
>> unit
>> test looses focus of its true purpose which is testing the logic of
>> the
>> component itself.
> I think we're dealing with two different test cases here. One is for
> testing the persistent data model and the other is for testing the
> logic of the component using the data model.
> I agree that the second type doesn't need to also test the real back
> end integration. But only if the first type is done also. If current
> test cases mix these type of tests I'm +1 on separating them as you
> proposed. Furthermore, data model changes occur certainly less as
> logic changes (once a model is stable) so running those test cases
> every time alongside the logic test cases might just as well be
> optional.

Many of the test failures we had were in the specific O/R mapping for
those specific component impls.
IMO Components like the Registry component's purpose is mostly O/R
mapping related, and the component core functionality should be tested
as a part of the build

I would very much like to see a system test sub-project for testing
complex test cases and performance