From "Christophe Lombart" <christophe.lomb...@sword-technologies.com>
Subject Re: JSR170 and JCMS2
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 07:45:15 GMT
David Le Strat wrote:

>+1. I totally agree with this.  As you pointed out,
>BEA portal leverage JSR170 to provide an abstraction
>layer to other content management engines.  So if you
>are an Interwoven and want to expose your content
>management capabilities to the portal, you write an
>implementation that plugin into the JSR170 (in BEA
>world, they call it the CMSPI).
>
>The interesting part with that is that your portal can
>now talk to all kind of CMS systems and your code in
>your portlets never has to change.  So if J2 were to
>develop generic portlets leveraging content
>management, users of J2 could swap out the default J2
>content management implementation (JCMS ;)) with what
>ever other CMS they want to leverage.  I believe that
>this would be quite powerful.

This is what we are doing with JCMS based on some persistence store
plugin. Now, I'm just wondering if it is not too early to start
something  with the JSR 170.
I hope that the Slide committers will provides this API. By this way,
Slide will be the default implementation for the JCMS persistence service.
JSR 170 is coming back into the Slide project. So, we will see.

Christophe