From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Maven version required to build J2 ?
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:38:27 GMT

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 12:13  AM, Raphaƫl Luta wrote:

> I spent a very frustating week-end trying to build J2 and while
> I finally managed to get there, I found several issues with Maven
> along the way.
>
> First my dev setup is:
> windows 2000 SP4
> jsdk 1.4.2_03
> tomcat 4.1.24
>
> I had maven 1.0-rc1 installed and kept getting errors in the torque
> generation tasks about log4j not finding its appender definition.
> So I decided to do a full reinstall of Maven using the latest rc2
> binary.
> Bad idea! The rc2 seems not to package a torque plugin anymore and
> the goal jar:install fails because of some issues with the java
> plugin (I've not bothered to look more in-depth into it...)
>
> So to get a clean build of J2 I had to do the following:
> Use Maven rc2 with the torque plugin bundled with beta 10 and the
> java plugin bundled with rc1 !
>
> My question is: am I the only one with this issue with the Maven
> release candidates ?
Nope we all were surprised to find that torque is no longer packaged.
I think we can add a dependency in the project.xml to automatically
bring it in

> If not, I think we should update the getting started document
> to specify which version of Maven exactly works for building J2.
>
> I must also say that I'm quite uncomfortable with this Maven dependency
> as it seems to me that it's pretty much like the Turbine of old: a
> moving target you can't really depend upon and it's so damn SLOW !
>
> Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Maven takes some to get used to. I cursed and bitched when first using
it too
Regarding speed, you can run Maven as

maven -o

for offline, it will run faster since it doesn't check for snapshots