From David Le Strat <dlest...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [J2]Building on Jetspeed 2
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:53:11 GMT
Ate,

See comments below.

<snip>
> >> My initial questions concern the user and
> security implementation as
> >> is currently underway for jetspeed 2.
> >>
> >> 1) User attributes
<snip>

> > We have a nice Preferences implementation in the
> works based on Java
> > Preferences API with a database backend store
> > The plan is to store portlet preferences using the
> Preference Store
>
> Alright I got that much from the source already.
> But what about future usermanagement/registration
> (possibly ported from J1).
> Do you intend to store standard user attributes like
> fullname, email etc.
> also in the Preference Store or in a separate (still
> to be defined) user
> object with its
> own persistence definition?

The current J2 design provides access to a User object
(see o.a.j.security.User) where the user is made of a
Subject and a Preferences.

The preferences will contain the user attributes as
properties of the preferences node.

So pref.get("user.firstname", null) would give you the
user first name or null as a default value.
The plan is also to map this to the portlet spec
PLT.17.2, to the PortletRequest.USER_INFO as defined
in the spec.

Preferences provide us with quite an extensible user
attributes model, built in the framework.

> >> 2) Security
> >> Ok. So if I get this correctly, it will be based
> >> on your new
> >> user/group/role
> >> security model.
> >> Will role definitions defined through
> >> declaritive web security be
> >> automatically mapped onto
> >> this model?

That should probably be something we need to address.
Do you want to chip in...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David Le Strat.