From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Service and Component Frameworks (why cornerstone is currently in J2)
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:10:49 GMT

"Weaver, Scott" <Sweaver@rippe.com> wrote in message
news:BD961D4D4634D511BB990050DA1CE12C02967377@winexch02.rippe.com...
> Hi Martin,
>
> > I don't mean to be provocative here, but if Cornerstone is sufficiently
> > general to warrant comparison with such frameworks as HiveMind, Spring
and
> > PicoContainer (which does appear to be the case, from the concepts paper
> > and
> > presentation), then why would you want to bury / hide it inside of
> > Jetspeed?
>
> It can indeed stand alone.  It is, Jun correct me if I'm wrong, becoming a
development standard at Cisco.  Personally, I would love to see Cornerstone
become a Jakarta project or even a top level ASF project.  In fact I
suggested this in the conference call David and I had with the Cisco
developers.

> Cornerstone, "A History":
>
> Cisco donated 100% of the Cornerstone code base in working condition along
with a slew of J1 enhancements, a very kewl gesture on their part.  David
(Sean Taylor) and I were given a great presentation by the Cisco developers,
they really had done their due diligence; on Cornerstone in particular.  As
for legal issues, this was taken care of, at Cisco, through all the correct
legal channels as to avoid any IP issues.

Including a software grant from Cisco to the ASF, as required, I hope.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants

> > then why would you want to bury / hide it inside of
> > Jetspeed?
>
> We aren't "hiding" Cornerstone from anyone, more like shielding it, at
least temporarily, from the same ungodly bullsh*t that plagued Pluto.  There
are certain elements in Jakarta that see every move by large companies (IBM,
Sun, etc.) to donate code/participate in open source as an attempt to hijack
control of open source projects or as a way to get a "free ride" from other
open source developers.  I know this is certainly not the case with
Cornerstone nor was it the case with Pluto.  Jetspeed 2's development was
severely stalled by these elements due to the fact that it is heavily
dependent on Pluto. I do not want to see the same thing happen again if
those "certain elements" in Jakarta get their panties in a twist over the
Cornerstone framework.

I can understand trying to avoid the panty twisters. ;-) It seems a shame
that Cornerstone won't be visible much, if at all, to folks outside of
Jetspeed for now, but hopefully that will change over time. I'll be
watching. :-)

--
Martin Cooper

> Regards,
> *================================*
> | Scott T Weaver                 |
> | <weaver@apache.org>            |
> | Apache Jetspeed Portal Project |
> | Apache Pluto Portlet Container |
> *================================*

Hivemind,
> > > Spring and Pico Container and found it too difficult because it
requires
> > > much more than superficial knowledge of those frameworks.  It will be
> > > great thing if experts of those frameworks can contribute their views.
> >
> > I don't mean to be provocative here, but if Cornerstone is sufficiently
> > general to warrant comparison with such frameworks as HiveMind, Spring
and
> > PicoContainer (which does appear to be the case, from the concepts paper
> > and
> > presentation), then why would you want to bury / hide it inside of
> > Jetspeed?
> >
> > Now that Cornerstone is part of the Jetspeed CVS repo, what is the
> > thinking
> > on its development going forward? I'm curious about whether it will be
> > integrated into Jetspeed to the point where it would not be useful as a
> > standalone component, or if the goal is to keep it (semi-)independent.
> > While
> > I understand that mass customisation is clearly a factor in portal-land,
> > that's not the only space to which it applies, and I can see a use for
> > such
> > a framework in non-portal applications as well.
> >
> > In general, I guess I'd just like to better understand the relationship
> > between Jetspeed and Cornerstone. (I'm not currently a Jetspeed user,
but
> > lurk on this list because of my interest in Pluto and its relationship
> > with
> > Jetspeed 2 - and now, possibly, Cornerstone. ;)
> >
> > --
> > Martin Cooper
> >

> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Jun