From "Tim Reilly" <tim.rei...@consultant.com>
Subject RE: A copyright question
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:32:58 GMT
Hello Bill,

I started on something quite a few months ago:
commons-lang welcomed adapting a UUID implementation.
The problem I ran into was - the consensus at the time was to use the Tyrex
UUID for various reasons (also found in Castor with slight changes.) And
elsewhere in exolab projects.
I started the discussion wanting to get the Axis uuid moved into commons.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&w=2&r=1&s=UUID&q=b

But since I want this as a pure Apache license class for the sake of reuse
in apache projects I did not know how to take from one license source Exolab
and put under ASL. I tried contacting Assaf Arkin; rather info@exolab.org
to see about a contribution put no luck.
--
Would you leave the original license in the file?
But then all ASF source must have the ASF license.
Would you pre-pend both licenses?
Add the Tyrex license to the distribution?
Reduce a modified Tyrex jar to distribute with only the 3 classes
and the license and uuid.properties? And call it something else?
--
FYI just noticed Turbine has org.apache.turbine.util.db.UUIdGenerator
that allows for a properties file with the MAC address.

I know attachments sometimes don't make it, but I'll try to attach a rough
**draft** here. If you have interest in continuing this feel free or we can
work on
it together. I don't have a much time but I can make some somewhere and I'll
learn some stuff.
It would be nice to follow through on the original thought and get something
commons-lang identifiers; so all these UUID that are about might live in
commons.

Let me know your thoughts.
-TR