From BaTien Duong <batien.du...@dbgroups.com>
Subject Re: Cornerstone demo
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:47:12 GMT
Jun Yang wrote:

> BaTien,
>
> Here is the email that we sent earlier.  Please read the document
> Jetspeed Cornerstone Sample Code in particular.  Let me know if you
> have any questions.

Thanks. I looked at cornerstone-demo. Here are my first impressions:

 The cornerstone concept is very interesting, especially with its 4
dimensions of customizations: components, component relationships,
control flows of components, and persistence of the customizations. It
seems to me the framework will be much more useful with these additions:
    1) Except of the bootstrap properties file, components (service)
initialization centralized in 1 place using XML and Digester will make
the naming much easier to follow and manage.  The services not
initialized via XML name-value settings can then proprammatically
registered with empty context as demonstrated. The effort in this area
is munimum but the benefit is significant. Many apache projects use
Digester: Struts, Tiles, HiveMind.
    2) Two things will make the framework instantly shine are
best-of-breed CacheService and  SpoolService besides the full working of
the 4 dimensions of customization. I saw the tutorial of CacheService in
developmnet cookbook but missing in the current cvs.

Hope Jun will have time to make cornerstone framework a real cornerstone
of portal services.

Best Regards
BaTien
DBGROUPS