From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JETSPEED 2] using commons Digetser/Betwixt as an eventual re plac ement for Castor
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:01:45 GMT
On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 09:08 PM, Weaver, Scott wrote:

>> i work on both betwixt and digester. betwixt does some pretty cool and
>> complex stuff but is still very much an alpha. i'd recommend sticking
>> with
>> digester.
>
> Thanks, I definitely want to use betwixt.  I think some more extensive
> documentation, or just more examples would be helpful.

yep. most of my betwixt energy's taken up with functionality at the
present. the documentation on the website is better than it used to be but
it needs a lot of work.

> Plus it would nice to know what all you can do within the .betwixt file.
> Right now, it is not very clear what the full syntax of the .betwixt file
> is.

there is a DTD with some explanations in. again, more documentation is
needed.

> However, could I not use the same rules I created for my digester within
> the BeanReader, since BeanReader actually implements Digster, correct?

yep.

(once you get the idea) you can mix and match. this is a good way to get
round any of the current betwixt limitations you run into.

> Maybe if I have sometime, I could send you what my digester
> implementation looks like and you could give me some tips on converting
> it to betwixt.

cool.

>> if you need a generative mapper (start-from-schema rather than
>> start-from-java) then you might like to look at xml-beans (but it's
>> probably more complex than digester).
>
> I looked at xml-beans, even went as far as to run the generator over the
> portlet.xml schema.  It seemed to me to be overkill, plus I couldn't find
> an easy way to integrate xml-beans with an existing object model.

yep. sounds like start-from-java is what you need (xml beans is
start-from-schema).

- robert