From Santiago Gala Pérez <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Pluto Build Process.
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:07:07 GMT

El miércoles, 8 octu, 2003, a las 07:00 Europe/Madrid,
dion@multitask.com.au escribió:

> Santiago Gala Pérez <sgala@hisitech.com> wrote on 08/10/2003 04:02:34
> AM:
>

>> El martes, 7 octu, 2003, a las 15:57 Europe/Madrid, Jason Kary
>> escribió:
>>
>>> Maven seems to be better at dependency management.  In addition there
>>> are a
>>> lot more tools one can use with maven.
>>>

>> Not that I disagree with having Pluto mavenized, but I would rather
>> say
>> "dependency hiding" than "dependency management". What maven usually
>> does is to download in the background everything needed.
>
> But it makes the project developers declare which versions of the
> dependencies are necessary.

True, and this is a big leap forward towards dependency management. I
was seeing only the negative part (that often you miss the fact a
dependency exists because of self downloading).

>> This is one of the things I don't like about maven. This, and the fact
>> that it means hanging on a beta for building the project.
>
> FWIW, maven is no longer in beta.

true again, last i checked it was the broken beta9, so we stayed with
beta8. I see in the web site that it is in RC2 now. I'll rephrase as
"hanging on unreleased code for building the project". This is
something that jetspeed did a lot in the past.

>> I would prefer a dual setup, where ant tasks can be called "by hand"
>> or
>> handed to maven. Just my two cents.
> Ditto.

Regards,