From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [Pluto] the driver and the container
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:29:48 GMT

On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 11:17  AM, Glenn R. Golden wrote:

> I'm starting to stare at Pluto.  It's got it's little "driver" portal
> in there as well as it's reference implementation of the 168 Portlet
> Container.  I'm trying to figure out which parts go where.
>
> For Jetspeed, we will use just the container, not the driver, right?

yes the container, not the portal implementation
however we communicate with the container using the same interfaces

> Pluto wraps a servlet around each portlet that is deployed.  More, it
> lets sets of portlets be deployed in their own .war file forming their
> own separate web application in Tomcat.  Separate web applications
> have separate servlet context, class loader, etc.  This seems to be
> part of the portlet spec, but I'm not sure.
>
> Will Jetspeed do the wrapping of servlet around portlet and have each
> portlet app br a separate web application like Pluto does?

already does

> Is this part of the throw away driver or the core container?

the pluto portal code exists under the source branch "src/portal"
the container is under "src/container" branch

> I think it  may be a cool way to accomplish separate webapps for
> portlets, but I'm still thinking about it...

this is the way that jetspeed-2 works today
one difference is that j2 uses one servlet to handle all portlets

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software