From David Le Strat <dlest...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [JETSPEED 2] Choosing a component framework/micro-kernel
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:14:26 GMT
To follow up with that thread, here is some more info
on Hivemind. It indeed looks interesting.  Lewis
presentation can be found at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/~hlship/HiveMind.ppt

Outside of the typical IoC support, I believe
interesting features are:

1. The concept of interceptor which allows in a
similar way than aspects to provide cross cutting
points to services (though with quite more lightweight
functionally).

2. Localization support: the ability to localize
services (limited to 1 local per instantiation so not
really for user localization but more for logs).

3. Substitution: The ability to provide configuration
variable substitution at start up (for instance
instantiate a service jdbc parameters through
substitution from a main configuration point).

4. Hivedoc: Interesting to keep track of the service
and their evolution.

Lewis presentation does a good job at providing a good
overview of the framework.

Hivemind seems to have good arguments in its favor but
may be difficult to wrap with CPS (mostly because of
the work performed by the XML configurator).  The XML
configuration probably would have to be closely look
at.

If we decide to wrap Avalon with CPS, I believe it may
still be worth it to explore the use of aspects. Any
thougths on this?

Regards,

David.