From David Le Strat <dlest...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [JETSPEED 2] Choosing a component framework/micro-kernel
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:21:17 GMT
FYI, I found an interesting article comparing the
Spring/Avalon and PicoContainer framework.

http://www.springframework.org/docs/lightweight_container.html

Interesting quote from the article:

"Avalon's most important container implementation,
Phoenix, targets standalone applications like full
servers. Avalon has its advantages there, as it has
been designed for start/stop cycles etc. The only
stable implementation for embedded use like within a
web application is Fortress, which competes with
Spring's bean container. Spring focuses on embedded
usage as application context, it does not aim to be a
foundation for server processes. And of course,
Spring's feature set for application development goes
far beyond the bean container itself."

I guess the choice boils down to what we are trying to
achieve:
- What is the primary purpose of the service
framework? Provide server services? Provide web
application services? Should Jetspeed provide/use a
framework for developing reusable portlets components
(as opposed to core portal services)?
- What core functionality should the service framework
provide? AOP, JTA, etc...

Just my two cents.  In any case, I like David ST
approach to create a commons like layer avoiding to
get too tightly coupled with the chosen service
framework.

Best regards,

David.