From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Struts as a JSR-168 Portlet Framework
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:45:50 GMT

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 05:23  AM, Mete Kural wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The topic of adapting Struts to be a portlet framework compliant with
> JSR-168 was discussed earlier. I remember that some of you were
> interested in contributing to such a project. Now is the opportunity.
> One of the goals of the next generation of Struts, Struts 2.0, is
> "Transparent support for a portlet environment (JSR 168)". Development
> for Struts 2.0 has already begun little by little. Here is the roadmap
> page for Struts:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/status.html
> Please scroll down for the part that is titled "Struts 2.0.x" and then
> the part under it that is titled "Portlet (JSR-168) Whiteboard".
> Struts committers are seeking out the help of others to make
> suggestions and improvements to these initial development stages of
> Struts 2.0. Jetspeed developers and users can be especially useful in
> making sure that Struts 2.0 addresses the needs of portlet developers.
> You can do this by sending your feedback to the Struts committers.
> Here is what Craig McClanahan wrote about building portlet support in
> Struts:
>
> "One approach to dealing with it has (in fact) already begun -- in the
> "contrib/struts-chain" subdirectory in the CVS sources is the
> beginnings
> of a refactoring of the standard RequestProcessor based on the
> "commons-chain" package in the Commons Sandbox.  If this actually
> works,
> two really good things might be able to happen:
>
> * It'll work for both servlets and portlets (you can see how the
> command implementations are being abstracted so that the chain will
> just do the right thing for each environment).
>
> * It is likely to be backwards compatible with Struts 1.1 as well,
> possibly with some restrictions yet to be discovered.
>
> The best way to get involved would be to check out CVS sources for
> both jakarta-struts and jakarta-commons-sandbox, become familiar with
> the code
> referenced above, and start making suggestions and improvements.  A
> really good starting point would be portlet-specific implementations
> of all the
> commands that currently have only servlet-specific implementations. "
>
> I would recommend anyone who is interested to give feedback to the
> Struts committers on the struts-dev mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
> Mete

Thanks for the invitation.

Are there any plans for integrating with Struts with Jetspeed-2?
I see Jetspeed as doing one thing well: a portal server.
Struts is good for web (and soon to be portal) development.
Separation of concerns.
I would see Struts working at the portal application layer, not at the
portal layer, which is the concern of Jetspeed.
Anyway thats just my view...

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software