From "Tim Reilly" <tim.rei...@consultant.com>
Subject RE: Struts as a JSR-168 Portlet Framework
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:50:18 GMT
Excellent!
I just spent the afternoon "lobbying" for Struts use at the portlet level...
I'm not sure I did very well.

In the end it came down to:

* Each advocate of methodologies will present our representative
use-case:"Add Client Site" developed in their respective methodology this
coming Monday (So for me that means using IBM portlet revision of
Struts1.1-b2 to develop this functionality for Mon.)

The main alternate contenter is using the MVC portlet. This implies coding
the if..else if..else if..else in the controller; however the point was made
that since the responsibilities of a portlet should not be as large as that
of a "normal"  struts application this is acceptible.

* Someone estimated a factor of 4 as the time required to develop in Struts
versus not developing with Struts. This is also the person in our group with
the most Struts experience, so I can't really argue against... except
perhaps to capture my time and present that as well on Monday.

* Others in the group expressed apprehension to the fact that we are using a
modified version of Struts. I mentioned based on a previous post on this
list, that the Struts community is behind supporting portlets as well as
servlets. Your posting here reaffirms this for us so .. thank you.

* I mentioned that although Struts adds complexity it provides; a) a
well-known framework for application development. b) Would ease certain
development and maintainence. c) Provide a proven framework for validation.
d) Allow new team members to "get up to speed" faster since the framework is
so well known.

* I added to the discussion ... that development time may not be a factor of
4 - if solid tools are used to generate certain elements; for example - the
struts-config.xml? Stubs for our Actions and Forms. Does anyone have any
favorite tools that may help here? I've seen EasyStruts on
eclipse-plugins.2y.net but have not used.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this topic.

[I realize this is perhaps off-topic for jetspeed-dev, so I am posting it on
jetspeed-user@jakarta.apache.org with same for reply-to; e.g: Trying to move
sub-thread from dev to user?
If it doesn't work right please just reply to
jetspeed-user@jakarta.apache.org]

Thanks. Hope hear your thoughts.