From David Le Strat <dlest...@yahoo.com>
Subject J2 - Service Architecture Question
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:32:49 GMT
All,

I have been playing around with J2's code for a little
while (though without Pluto it is a bit challenging
;o)).  I am looking for the Jetspeed developers'
advice on the 2 following topics:

- What is the recommended way to implement/expose
services in J2?  Is it the purpose of the CPS base
services to provide a service framework for the rest
of the application (will this eventually use Avalon?)
or are plugins assuming this responsibility (see point
below)?

- What is the recommended way to use a persistence
layer? I noticed that there is an OJB plugin.  Should
all persistance leverage the plugin to persist data
through OJB? I read a little bit about the thrust
architecture in Jetspeed. To which extent should
plugins be used?  For instance, should the underlaying
profile management implementation be exposed as a
plugin? Let's say EJB profile, JDO profile, LDAP
profile, OJB profile and have a "universal" interface
in front that assembles the plugins and manages the
interaction with the various plugins?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

David Le Strat.