From "Mark Orciuch" <mark_orci...@ngsltd.com>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Lucene Search Service
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 14:49:03 GMT
Paul,

Sorry about the poor phrasing. The portlet registry knows about the sources
of portal's content and therefore could also be made searchable. As a matter
a fact, the indexing process can walk through the registry and index all
files referenced by the url attribute of each portlet entry.

However, one aspect if indexing portal content that bothers me is security.
So you index every .html file in the portal (just as an example). Each .html
file is "wrapped" as a portlet and can have access restrictions. How do you
filter out these from the search results based on the user access rights?

It would be nice to give the user a search result containing links to either
preview found portlets and/or add them to current pane (or something like
that).

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/