From "Mete Kural" <me...@touchtonecorp.com>
Subject RE: Struts-based portlet applications
Date Thu, 29 May 2003 14:18:21 GMT
>WebSphere Portal comes with the ability to create struts base
>portlets as of version 5.

Yes, that's great. It's good to see commercial support in this area. But I think it would
be better if the Struts project itself provided an open-source standard solution to build
Struts-based portlets and portlet applications. Maybe we can get together and make a case
to the Struts developers that the functionality to build Struts-based portlets and portlet
applications should be a default feature of a future release of Struts (like 1.2). David Taylor?
Scott Weaver?

Meanwhile until Struts 1.2 is released, the library of classes that extend Struts to provide
portlet-specific features would be provided under the /contrib folder of the Struts CVS.

Anyone interested in making this case to the Struts developers?

Mete

>carlos

provide application-level functionality,
>such as say content management or CRM or an email client (Am I right?). So what are your
ideas on what extensions to Struts are
>necessary in order to build portlet applications with Struts as the framework? I would
think that an ActionPortlet class that wraps
>each portlet with the JSR-168 Portlet interface may be necessary. Maybe PortletRequestProcessor
for event handling functionality at
>the RequestProcessor layer?
>
>There was an email in the Struts-user list a while ago about this subject. It may be useful.
I'm copying it here: