From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed and Jboss
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 19:49:40 GMT

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 12:28  PM, Darren Hartford wrote:

> I guess that last post was confusing. I'll be more specific on what I
> need and see if the general community feels these are good
> requirements for everyone, or if it is too specific.  Basically, how
> can I use what is already built into the application server (Jboss in
> this instance)?
>
> 1. Username/Password/Authentication:  All Authentication for most of
> my web applications are already implemented in JBoss. Can Jetspeed use
> JBoss for Authentication?

Can we make calls from Java into JBoss authentication services?
If so, then yes, you can wrapper these calls inside a new
Jetspeed-JBossAuthentication service.

> 2. Groups/Roles/Authorization part1: Jboss has Authorization
> capability already in place.  Can Jetspeed use Jboss for > Authorization?

Can we make calls from Java into JBoss authorization services?
If so, then yes, you can wrapper these calls inside a new
Jetspeed-JBossAuthorization service.

> Maybe I'm just asking for too much, but where this functionality is
> already available in most Application Server platforms, I would think
> the easy way to get Jetspeed running is to make some configuration
> changes (in WEB-INF folder), WAR, and deploy Jetspeed and start
> running with the already in-place Authentication and Authorization
> systems.

Start by looking here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/security.html

> 3. Permissions/Authorization part2:  Users already exist, just need to
> handle default permissions and how to add/modify/remove permissions.
> The existing Torque/Turbine still talks to a database, so maybe
> continue with the default HSQL to handle non-default permissions based
> on USERID from Authentication?

There are UserManagement  and PermissionManagement interfaces in
Jetspeed. You can plug in your implementations for JBoss.

btw - please don't cross post to both jetspeed-user and jetspeed-dev.
You are receiving responses on both lists now.

Also see:

http://www.shiftat.com/blog/page/werner/20021027

--
David Sean Taylor