From "Mark Orciuch" <mark_orci...@ngsltd.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSALS] Let me know what you think.
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:47:57 GMT
> Depending on the demand for each of these individual proposals, I
> will submit a bug id with draft information attached.
>
> I don't expect any or all of these to make it into the next
> release, but I feel they need to be addressed/defined.
>

> 1.  Enhanced skinning capability using more of innate
> capabilities of style sheets and less of the registry and
> possibly combined with custom controls into some type of "theme"
> mechanism with would link controls/style sheets/images into a
> single, coherent entity.  We have already added some preliminary
> image-skinning capabilities, see bug: 18208.  The concrete
> example is skinning of action icons, but it can be used to skin
> other things.  For example I am skinning by tabs with a custom
> controller that uses image skinning to build the tabs.

That's a much wanted feature. If it can be included by our planned release
date (April 14), I'm all for it. It would be best if it was an optional
feature to minimize risk of destabilizng the base Jetspeed code.

> The additional CSS skinning needs to be formalized, so anyone
> with ideas or wish list is welcome to participate.
>
> 2.  Inter-portlet communication.  This came up on user, and I
> think there needs to be a well-defined mechanism for this as
> opposed the usual kludgy, hacks we generally suggest ;).  It
> needs to be transparent and easy to use.  Todd Kuebler had some
> good suggestions, so I'd like to look deeper into that and try to
> come up with something.

Sounds good. As long as it's transparent and ready to go by April 14th, I'm
+1.

> 3.  Portlet/Portal event model.  This is pretty straight forward
> and might be of some help with inter-portlet communication.

Event model would be nice but I think that it's something that's part of the
new portlet API (and jetspeed-2). Would it be better to invest the time into
jetspeed-2? In any case, my vote to include this is for release 1.4b5.

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/